Welcome to your new website! It's time to make some updated. This guide reviews the most common things you need to know to update your site.
In WordPress, you will find there are different types of posts. A post, also called a blog post, is an article that is often a part of one or more categories in the news or blog section of your website. These articles are generally tied to a specific post date and may even show the name of the person who published the post.
A Page, on the other hand, is generally listed in your main navigation and is not tied to a category, a date, or a person who posted the information. Pages are great for displaying information about your services, locations, about your company and even your contact page.
Editing Your WordPress Website
- Log into WordPress
- You can reset your password from the login page if you need to.
- Once you have logged in you will see the admin panel.
- Here are some of the most common things you will want to do.
- Go to the website by clicking on your website title at the top left of the screen.
- You can browse through the site to locate a post/page that you would like to edit. Once you have found the page you would like to edit, click the "Edit Page" link on the admin bar at the top of the screen.
- To get back to the admin panel, click on the title of your website located on the admin bar across the top of your website.
- Add or update "Posts" and "Pages" by clicking on the "Posts" or "Pages" admin menu item on the left of the admin panel.
- To add a new post/page, click the Add New button.
- To edit a post/page, locate the post/page on the list and click on the title.
- Add or update blog categories by clicking on "Categories" under the "Posts" section on the admin menu in the admin panel.
Editing a Post or a Page
- When editing a post/page, you can change the URL by clicking the "Edit" button located next to the "Permalink". This is the permanent address of the page that will be visible to your visitors in the address bar of their browser.
- Place the content for your page or post in the main editor.
- Set a featured Image for the page/post
- Usually located on the right sidebar, you will see a "Featured Image" section. Click "Set featured image" link and select or upload a photo. This image may be used in various places throughout your site that reference this page. For example, a list of blog articles may also include a photo next to each article, but only if you select one.
- For posts, make sure you select at least one category for the post. This helps to organize your content and ensures that it will show up in the correct place on your website.
- Editing a page with Page Builder
- Page Builder lets you create more sophisticated page layouts on your website.
- When a page is created using Page Builder, you must use page builder to make further edits to the page content.
- To get started, locate the page you would like to edit and click the Page Builder link on the admin bar or the Page Builder tab on the edit page.
- Once you have launched the Page Builder, click the question mark button at the top right of the screen.
- Click "Take a Tour". You will be taken through each feature of Page Builder
- Take a moment to watch this video for an overview of how to edit a page using the page builder.